Do You Remember: Chapter 4 (Final)

By | 18:50 Leave a Comment



-1-

I shot him an unfriendly look when he offered his assistance in carrying my backpack. I'm not incapable!

"I'm not a damsel in distress, Choi Minho. I can manage and no thank you," I said and walked ahead of him, a compass and a map in my two hands.

I could hear him catching my steps and a few more seconds; we're walking side by side.

"You didn't get to participate last year. Too bad," he commented.

"Are you trying to start a conversation here? Sorry. Not interested," I rebutted. I don't even want to see his face. What more of a conversation with him?

But he ignored my lectures and continued, "The weather today isn't nice at all. Last year, it was all sunny and you could hear the chirping of the birds and the butterflies roaming around every bush."

I ignored him.

"I didn't even use my umbrella and raincoat that time," he said as he roams his eyes around him.

I ignored him again. Isn't this what he want? He wanted me to stay away from him as much as possible. I already did and I already am. What does he want now?

I kept mum and tried to search for a yellow flag somewhere. I know we're getting near. He did nothing the whole day than to narrate to me the uninteresting story about last year's Summer Camp. It's not like I asked him to tell me about it. I don't even want to remember it!

And now, we're here in the middle of the forest, trying to look for two more flags while here he is, continuing his story I'm not even listening to.

"...reached the river and..."

"What on Earth do you want?!" I screamed at his face. The most irritating part? He didn't even get affected. Instead, he smiled at me.

"I have fever," he said. My eyes shot wide and I tried to clear my throat.

"And so? I don't care," I said and continued walking again.

"I'm just trying to get back the way we used to treat each other before," he said as he looks at me, trying to catch my hasty steps.

"Aren't you the one who told me to stay away? Why are you doing this?!" I demanded exasperatedly.

"I--"

"Stop! I don't need your explanation. You're sick anyway," I said and continued my trail. I looked at the map once again and then back at the surroundings. Where on Earth is that flag?! It's getting darker.

I turned to him while walking backwards. "Don't you dare mention anything about getting back the way we used to treat each other before. You're the reason why it ended. How dare you ask for my friendship after what you said to me? How dare you accused me about taking advantage of you when it di--"

I stepped on something slippery and before I knew it, I was sliding down a steep slope. I screamed in fright. I didn't realize that I grabbed Minho with me. We fell on the ground together after bouncing, hitting and cutting through the thick bushes and sharp stones.

I fell on something hard. My body aches. Where are we?

I roamed my eyes around. It's not in the map. It's getting darker out and my backpack is all wet. I saw it floating in a small pool of water near me. I picked it up and saw all soaked. The extra tent, blanket, flashlight, camera and extra clothes are all soaked and wet. Thankfully I brought canned goods and a medicine kit with me.

Wait.

I feel some heavy pressure in my leg.

Choi Minho?

I tried to shake him to wake him up. "Hey. Wake up! Hey! Choi Minho!" but to no avail.

I pressed two fingers against his wrist to feel for pulse. He's just unconscious.

But his body is so hot.

I saw a bruise on his temple. He must've bumped his head somewhere that's why he's unconscious now.

"Hey... Hey!"

No response.

I took his backpack and looked for something that we may use. To my disappointment, he only brought a bottle of water and a flashlight.

I sighed, disappointed, and shook my head. I will be in-charge now. At least the flashlight is working.

I switched it on and placed it a few feet away from me. Thankfully we landed on a grassy plain. The enemy for tonight is the rain and the cold.

I carefully placed him in a better position. I took the tent and, though its nylon is a little wet, I assembled it and placed out stuffs inside.

I shook my head when I saw Choi Minho. How useless of him. He's the man here, after all. Now, our positions were reciprocated.

Slowly and carefully, I tried to get him inside the tent. It's getting colder out and droplets of rain hit my head. He's heavy, all right.

Panting, I zipped the tent close to shield us from the cold.

He looked so pale and his breathing is uneven. His clothes are a little wet too. And he has a temperature.

Connecting the dots, I carefully removed his soiled coat and wet sweater. But, what am I going to cover him with? He doesn't have extra clothes.

After minutes of pondering, I removed my coat and placed it around him like a blanket. I shivered in the cold and clutched my sweater closer. I reached over to open the canned goods I packed and ate some to aid my growling stomach.

After eating, I urged Minho to drink his medicine. This imbecile. Why did he join the camp if he's sick?

Lucky, lucky me. It's getting colder out and the rain was pouring harder.

I looked at Choi Minho. This idiot. He shoved me off and now I'm taking care of him. What an irony.

He took almost all the space inside the tent, which left me with no choice than to lie down beside him. Hopefully, he will get better.

-2-

I snuggled closer to the comfortable warmth enveloping me. It's been a while since I slept as comfortable as this morning. I don't want to wake up just yet.

But I felt some warm breeze against my forehead. Frowning, I opened my eyes to see what's going on.

I gasped when I saw myself pillowing my head on Minho's bare chest, my arm around him and his arm around my waist.

I tried to get up but he pulled me back again.

"What..."

"Shhh... let's stay like this a little longer," he whispered against my ear.

My mind was blank at the feel of the rise and fall of his chest, the steady beating of his heart, and the way his hand combed through my hair.

What is he doing?

But it felt so comforting.

I closed my eyes.

"I'm sorry for ignoring you. I wanted to talk to you but I was so guilty whenever I remember the time when I shoved you away," he begun as his hand grabbed mine.

"Sorry for everything Krystal. Will you give me another chance?" he said. I looked at him and I saw sincerity in his eyes.

But I'm afraid.

"You want to be my best friend once again?" I inquired. My voice is so soft like it was drowned by the fast beating of my heart.

Without another word, he flipped up until he was on top of me.

My eyes shot wide. "Wha--" I was immediately muted by his lips against mine. I tried to wriggle free from his embrace but my heart and my body doesn't want to break free. He kissed me in a sweet and gentle gesture that his warmth seeped through me once again. His scent lingered around me once again. Our breaths mingled together.

Before I knew it, I closed my eyes and responded to his kiss. I don't have any idea what I'm doing but this was something I've been dreaming for a year back. This kiss was the reason why I confessed to him. This kiss was the reason why our friendship was broken. And now, it's the reason why our friendship will be rebuilt again.

We broke the kiss and he looked at me tenderly. "No. I want to be more than friends," he said bravely.

My eyes widen in response and my mouth gaped open. Am I dreaming?

He chuckled and gave me a peck on the lips.

"I was the one who rescued you when you sprained your ankle last year," he said.

"Thank you for your pity," I remarked.

He shook his head. "It's not pity. I just... I don't know how to handle my feelings for you too. I didn't know that I need you so much until the time you started ignoring me. I felt so lost. Please... I need you back," it sounded like a plea.

He grabbed my hand and placed them on his chest, so that I can feel the rapid beating of his heart. He closed his eyes and I held my breath. "I love you," he said softly and sincerely.

Tears welled up in my eyes and I replied with a peck on his forehead.

He opened his eyes and stared at me lovingly. "Thank you for taking care of me last night. It seems like you're ready to be my wife."

I whacked his chest and he chuckled in response.

It all started with a dream of a kiss and ended with a real kiss. The memories were unraveled and confessions were made. And I know that my life will be so much better with him by my side.

0 comments: